I am an evolutionary biologist working at the intersection between population genetics, ecology, and human culture. The main focus of my work is analysing the evolution of animal and human populations taking into account different factors that could have influenced it (climate, social structure, subsistence strategies, human management of animal species, gene-culture coevolution).
2018 Nov – current
Research Associate (ERC funded), Evolutionary Ecology Group, University of Cambridge, UK. Principal Investigator: Prof Andrea Manica
2017 Nov – 2018 Oct
Visiting scientist, Evolutionary Ecology Group, University of Cambridge, UK. Principal Investigator: Dr Andrea Manica
2015 Sep – 2017 Sep
Research Associate (H2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie funded) Center for GeoGenetics, Copenhagen, Denmark. Principal Investigator: Prof Ludovic Orlando
2014 Dec – 2015 Sep
Post-doctoral scientist Population genetics Group, University of Ferrara, Italy. Principal Investigators: Prof Guido Barbujani, Dr Andrea Manica (Cambridge)
2012 Oct – 2014 Sep
Research Associate (Leverhulme Trust funded) Anthropology department UCL, UK. Principal Investigators: Dr Andrea Migliano, Prof Mark Thomas.
2008 Mar – Jul
Post-graduate scientist (MEGA Lifelong Learning Program funded) Human Population Genetics Group, Musée de l’Homme – MNHN, Paris, France. Supervisors: prof. Evelyne Heyer, dr. Frédéric Austerlitz.
2009 – 2013
Ph.D. in Anthropology (FP7 Marie Curie funded) Palaeogenetic Group, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany. Lactase Persistence and early Cultural History of Europe (LeCHE) ITN. Supervisor: Prof Joachim Burger.
- 2012 May – Sep: Visiting Scientist, The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton (Cambridge), UK. Supervisor: Dr Chris Tyler-Smith
- 2010 May – Oct: Visiting Scientist, CMPG Lab, University of Bern, Switzerland. Supervisor: Prof Laurent Excoffier.
- 2009 Jul – Aug: Visiting Scientist, Molecular and Cultural Evolution Lab, UCL, United Kingdom. Supervisor: Prof Mark Thomas.
2005 – 2007
MSc in Prehistoric Sciences University of Ferrara, Italy. Mark: 110/110 cum laude. Supervisor: Prof Guido Barbujani, Population Genetics group.
2002 – 2005
BSc of Cultural Heritage Technologies. University of Ferrara, Italy. Mark: 110/110 cum laude.
Grants and awards
- 2020: Our paper on migraine (Viganò et al. 2019) has been shortlisted among the 5 best articles published in Headache in 2019
- 2018: SIBE travel grant for the ESEB congress, Montpellier, August 2018
- 2015-2017: Marie Sklodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship (IF) Centre for GeoGenetics, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 2015: Doctor Darwin prize for the best contribution to Evolutionary Medicine by a young researcher. SIBE congress, 31st August – 3rd September 2015, Bologna, Italy.
- 2009-2011 FP7 Marie Curie Ph. D. fellowship, Lactase Persistence and early Cultural History of Europe (LeCHE) International Training Network, Palaeogenetics Group, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz.
- 2008 MEGA Lifelong Learning project grant for a 20-weeks internship in the Musèe National d’Histoire Naturelle (Musée de l’Homme), Paris, France.
- 2006 Travel grant to XV IUSPP-UISPP congress, Lisbon, Portugal.
- 2003, 2004, 2005 Socrates-Erasmus travel grant for three annual international workshops in “Environmental, human and behavioural dynamics” Centro Europeo di Ricerche Preistoriche, Isernia, Italy.
- 2003 Socrates-Erasmus fellowship for five months in the University of Provence Aix-Marseille I, France.
2008 – 2004 Tagliente Rockshelter (Verona), Italy, Palaeolithic (prof. A. Guerreschi, Ferrara).
2007 Atapuerca (Burgos) Spain, Palaeolithic (prof. E. Carbonell, Tarragona)
2007- 2006 Hohle Fels (Schleckingen), Germany, Palaeolithic (prof. N. J. Conard, Tübingen)
2006 Vogelherd (Niederstoetzingen) Germany, Palaeolithic (prof. N. J. Conard, Tübingen)
2005 Mochi Rockshelter (Balzi Rossi), Italy, Palaeolithic. (prof. A. Bietti, Roma La Sapienza) Fumane Cave (Verona), Italy, Palaeolithic (prof. A. Broglio, Ferrara)
2004 Broion Rockshelter (Vicenza), Italy, Palaeolithic (prof. A. Broglio, Ferrara)
2004 – 1998 Isernia la Pineta (Isernia), Italy, Palaeolithic (prof. C. Peretto, Ferrara)
2003 – 2002 Stettenek Castle, Ortisei (Bozen), Italy, Middle Age. (SRA, Bressanone/Brixen)