Talks for the general public
- “Women in climate change – Donne e cambiamento climatico” webinar organised by Wikimedia foundation and Wikidonne (2nd December 2021) Video (in Italian)
- “Climate change is not a game… but what if it was?” talk for the Cambridge Zero Climate Change Festival (7th November 2020). Video
- Video-interview (in Italian) for MeetScience (12th October 2020). Video
- “Climate change is not a game… but what if it was?” virtual talk organised by the Postdoc of Cambridge Society (16th April 2020)
- “Back to the future: species distribution through time”, outreach talk within the “Celebrating Women in Science and Conservation” event at the Museum of Zoology, Cambridge Science Festival. (7th March 2020) Video.
- “Ancient DNA”, outreach talk within the AIRIcerca Cambridge Chapter Spritz of Science series. (2nd February 2020)
Talks and outreach activities for schoolchildren
- Meeting with the students from Istituto di Istruzione Superiore Majorana di Martina Franca (Taranto, Italy) within the project AIRIscuole (April 2022).
- Talks on the topic of evolutionary biology at Kettlefield Primary School, Dullingham, Newmarket (April 2022).
- “Evolution quiz” Online activity with schoolchildren for the “Young Zoologist Club”, Museum of Zoology, Cambridge (12th February 2022).
- Meeting with the students from Istituto di Istruzione Superiore Cesare Baronio di Sora (Frosinone, Italy) within the project AIRIscuole (15th November 2021).
- “Animali e clima: una sfida impossibile?” online presentation for schoolchildren during Festival della Scienza di Genova (22nd October 2021)
- “Natural selection” Online activity with schoolchildren for the “Young Zoologist Club”, Museum of Zoology, Cambridge (19th February 2021).
- “Un gioco da tavolo per capire il cambiamento climatico”, talk for FuturoRemoto 2020 the Science Festival organised by Città della Scienza di Napoli (26th November 2020).
- “Il cambiamento climatico non è un gioco… ma se lo fosse?” online talk during “FermHAmente“, Science Festival in Fermo (18th October 2020) Video (in Italian)
- “Climate change” talk and boardgame activity with Year 10-12 students, within the “Meet the expert” program at the Museum of Zoology, Cambridge. (26th February 2020)
- Talks on the topic of evolutionary biology at Kettlefield Primary School, Dullingham, Newmarket. (March 2019)
- Talks on the topic of “Genes, culture and diet: unbreakable links“ to high school students in Trieste and Bologna within the project “Un pozzo di scienza”, organized by Hera and Regione Emilia-Romagna. (March 2015)
- Guide in archaeological sites for schoolchildren and tourists during fieldwork (2005-2008)
- Talks on the topics of Prehistory, Human Evolution, and Biological Evolution for classes ranging between Key Stages 3 and 4 Scuola Pontificia Pio IX, Roma (2003-2005)
Organisation and volunteering for outreach events
- Spritz of Science 2021-2022 series: co-organiser of the networking and outreach events for AIRIcerca Cambridge chapter, held under the name of “Spritz of Science” (November 2020 – June 2021).
- Pint of Science Cambridge 2021: Co-organiser and host of the roundtable “Climate change and conservation after COVID-19: what’s next?”. Video
- International Women’s day 2021: organiser for AIRIcerca Cambridge and moderator of the talk by Anna Lisa Somma and Mirella Orsi “Parole di scienza e conoscenza: Ildegarda di Bingen e Émilie du Châtelet”. Video (in Italian)
- Darwin Day 2021:organiser for AIRIcerca Cambridge and moderator of the talk by Chiara Ceci and Marco Ferraguti “Alla scoperta della prima edizione italiana de L’Origine delle specie”. Video (in Italian)
- Spritz of Science 2020-2021 series: co-organiser of the networking and outreach events for AIRIcerca Cambridge chapter, held under the name of “Spritz of Science” (November 2020 – June 2021).
- Darwin Day 2021: Organiser and chair of a talk on the first Italian edition of “On the Origin of Species” on behalf of AIRIcerca Cambridge chapter (11th February 2021)
- Pint of Science Cambridge 2020: Organiser within “Our Planet” team (cancelled due to COVID-19)
- Darwin Day 2020: Organiser of an outreach event on the topic of Charles and Emma Darwin on behalf of AIRIcerca Cambridge chapter, held at Darwin College (16th February 2020)
- Spritz of Science 2019-2020 series: co-organiser of the AIRIcerca Cambridge chapter monthly outreach events, held under the name of “Spritz of Science” (December 2019 – June 2020).
- Twilight Festival 2019: volunteer for the Botanical Garden for visitor reception and guiding activities (5th February 2019)
Interviews and media coverage
- Interview by Solarpunk Italia: “Intervista con Michela Leonardi a cura di Romina Braggion“. Video (in Italian)
- Interview by Corriere del Ticino: “Ambiente: giocare per imparare il rispetto“
- Interview by Mashable Italia: “Un gioco da tavolo per studiare il cambiamento climatico: l’idea di una ricercatrice italiana“
- Interview by Festival della Cultura Tecnica “La velocità con cui il clima sta cambiando renderà sempre più difficile alle specie animali di adattarsi e reagire“
- Interview on the News of the University of Ferrara: “Climate change the board game: il gioco da tavolo su evoluzione e clima“
- Profile on the Museum of Zoology blog, University of Cambridge: “Climate responses in absence of humans”
- Interview on Oggiscienza.it: “Climate change: un gioco da tavolo sul cambiamento climatico“
- Article on Nature research highlights: Tuscans’ roots in their corner of western Italy date back five millennia
- Mentioned by Guido Barbujani during the radio broadcast Fahrenheit (12 February 2018)
- Mentioned in the book by Guido Barbujani and Andrea Brunelli Il giro del mondo in sei milioni di anni. Il Mulino, 2018.
- I have created a print-and-play educational board game about climate change and evolution, freely available for download;
- I have co-founded AIRIcerca Cambridge chapter, a local chapter of Associazione Internazionale Ricercatori Italiani, and co-organised the social media and the outreach activities;
- I have written a chapter of a popular science book and collaborated to an exhibition catalogue;
- I have been translating to Italian and proof-reading (in Italian) for popular science texts (books, exhibition texts, etc.) on the topics of biology, genetics, archaeology, geology and palaeontology as a collaboration with Dr Herwig Prinoth (Museum Ladin) and popular science writer Paolo Gangemi;
Graphics and painting
I had the pleasure to design a few logos, namely for the Evolutionary Ecology Group (University of Cambridge), for the 25th year anniversary of the Happy Hour of the Department of Zoology (University of Cambridge), for AIRIcerca Cambridge chapter and for its outreach event series “Spritz of Science”.
I also had the honour to contribute with two tiles painted by me to the permanent nature-inspired art exhibition in the Zoology Department (University of Cambridge).
Finally, I curated the graphics of “Climate Change – the board game“, that I created based on my work in the Evolutionary Ecology Group (University of Cambridge).