- E. F. Miller, R. E. Green, A. Balmford, R. Beyer, M. Somveille, M. Leonardi, W. Amos, A. Manica (2019 and submitted) mtDNA-based reconstructions of change in effective population sizes of Holarctic birds do not agree with their reconstructed range sizes based on paleoclimates, bioRxiv 2019.12.13.870410 link
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- L. Betti, R. Beyer, E. R. Jones, A. Eriksson, F. Tassi, V. Siska, M. Leonardi, P. Maisano-Delser, L.K. Bentley, P.R. Nigst, J. Stock, R. Pinhasi, A. Manica. (2020) Climate shaped how Neolithic farmers and European hunter-gatherers interacted during a major slowdown from 6,100 BCE to 4,500 BCE Nature Human Behaviour link, read-only access
- A. Fages, K. Hanghøj, N. Khan, C. Gaunitz, A. Seguin-Orlando, M. Leonardi, [116 authors], L. Orlando (2019) Tracking five millennia of horse management with extensive ancient genome time-series. Cell 177, 1–17 link, download
- A. Viganò, A. Manica, V. Di Piero, M. Leonardi (2019) Did going North give us migraine? An evolutionary approach on understanding latitudinal differences in migraine epidemiology. Headache 59(4) link, download
- M. Leonardi, A. Sandionigi, A. Conzato, S. Vai, M. Lari, S. Ghirotto, F. Tassi, D. Caramelli, G. Barbujani. The female ancestor’s tale: long-term matrilineal continuity in a non-isolated region of Tuscany. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 167(3):497-506. link, read-only access
- M. Leonardi, F. Boschin, K. Giampoudakis, R. M. Beyer, M. Krapp, R. Bendrey, R. Sommer, P. Boscato, A. Manica, D. Noguez-Bravo, L. Orlando (2018). Late Quaternary horses in Eurasia in the face of climate and vegetation change. Science Advances 4(7), eaar5589 link, download.
- M. Leonardi, G. Barbujani, A. Manica (2017) An earlier revolution: genetic and genomic analyses reveal pre-existing cultural differences leading to Neolithization. Scientific Reports 7(1): 3525 link, download.
- M. Leonardi, P. Librado, C. Der Sarkissian, M. Schubert, A. H. Alfarhan, S. A. Alquraishi, K. A. S. Al-Rasheid, C. Gamba, E. Willerslev, L. Orlando (2017) Evolutionary Patterns and Processes: Lessons from Ancient DNA. Systematic Biology, 66 (1), e1-e29 link, download.
- P. Librado, A. Fages, C. Gaunitz, M. Leonardi, S. Wagner, N. Kahn, K. Hanghøj, S. Al Quraishi, A. Alfarhan, K. Al Rasheid, C. Der Sarkissian, M. Schubert, L. Orlando (2016). The evolutionary origin and genetic makeup of domestic horses, Genetics 204(2) link, download.
- E. Heyer, J.-T. Brandenburg, M. Leonardi, B. Toupance, P. Balaresque, T. Hegay, A. Aldashev, F. Austerlitz (2015) Patrilineal populations show more male transmission of reproductive success than cognatic populations in Central Asia, which reduces their genetic diversity. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 157(4):537-43 link, download (paywall).
- M. Leonardi (2013) Lactase persistence and milk consumption in Europe: an interdisciplinary approach involving genetics and archaeology, Documenta Praehistorica 40: 84-96 link, download.
- M. Leonardi, P. Gerbault, M.G. Thomas, J. Burger (2012) The evolution of lactase persistence in Europe. A synthesis of archaeological and genetic evidence. International Dairy Journal, 22(2): 88-97 link, download (paywall).
- P. Gerbault*, M. Leonardi*, A. Powell, C. Weber, N. Benecke, J. Burger, M.G. Thomas (2012) Domestication and migrations: using mitochondrial DNA to infer domestication processes of goats and horses. In: Kaiser E, Schier W, Burger J (eds), Population dynamics in Prehistory and Early History. New Approaches by Stable Isotopes and Genetics, DE GRUYTER 17-29. link *those authors contributed equally to the work
- M. Leonardi, (2011) The history inside us, in F. Feulner et al. “May contain traces of milk. Investigating the role of dairy farming and milk consumption in the European Neolithic”, University of York. link
- M. Leonardi, (2011) Die weiße revolution der Jungsteinzeit, in J. Reinhard (ed.): “Milch! Nahrung – Mythos – Politikum”, Jexhof Bauernhof Museum, Fürstenfeldbruck. link
- M. Leonardi. A Palaeolithic cultural shift suggested by genetic and genomic data, Fourth annual symposium of the DFG center for advances studies “Ancient connections in Eurasia”, 13th-16th December 2018, University of Tübingen, Germany (invited).
- M. Leonardi, G. Barbujani, A. Manica Human genetic diversity and the effects of subsistence strategies, FISV congress, 18-21 September 2018, Rome, Italy.
- P. Librado, A. Fages, C. Gaunitz, N. Khan, C. Mc Crory Constantz, C. Gamba, C. Der Sarkissian, M. Leonardi, M. Schubert, ERC-PEGASUS consortium, L. Orlando An ancient genomic perspective on the horse domestication process, ISBA 7 congress, 12th – 14th September 2016, Oxford, UK.
- M. Leonardi, S. Ghirotto, F. Tassi, A. Manica, G. Barbujani Testing for the influence of lifestyle on genetic diversity through time, SIBE congress, 31st August – 3rd September 2015, Bologna, Italy
- M. Leonardi, S. Ghirotto, F. Tassi, A. Manica, G. Barbujani Testing for the influence of lifestyle on genetic diversity through time, AAI congress: “Towards a Next-Generation Anthropology: challenges and synergies. 3rd – 5th September 2015, Bologna/Ravenna, Italy
- M. Leonardi, A. Manica, J. Burger Ancient population genetics: new insights on horse domestication, ISBA 6 Congress, 27th-29th August 2014, Basel, Switzerland.
- E. Heyer, J.-T. Brandenburg, M. Leonardi, B. Toupance, P. Balaresque, T. Hegay, A. Aldashev, F. Austerlitz. Patrilinearity conditions male cultural transmission of reproductive success in Central Asia and impacts genetic diversity, SMBE congress, 8th-12th June 2014, Puerto Rico
- M. Leonardi, M. Fumagalli, M.G. Thomas, A. Migliano (poster talk). Adaptation to lifestyle in South-Eastern Asia. EMBO conference: Human evolution in the genomic era: Origins, populations and phenotypes 1st-4th April 2014 Leicester, UK.
- M. Leonardi, J. Burger. Simulating horse domestication with the help of ancient DNA. LeCHE conference, Amsterdam, 28th – 29th June 2012 (invited)
- E. Heyer, M. Leonardi, F. Austerlitz Cultural transmission of fitness. 5th European Human Behaviour and Evolution Association Conference, 25th – 27th March 2010. Wroclaw, Poland.
- M. Leonardi, C. Weber, N. Benecke, M. G. Thomas, J.Burger. Ancient DNA and horse domestication. International Conference “Migrations in Prehistory and Early History, Stable Isotopes and Population Genetics – New Answers to Old Questions?” 24th – 26th March 2010, Berlin, Germany (invited)
- E. Heyer, F. Austerlitz, M. Leonardi. Cultural transmission of fitness XXIèmes Journées Scientifiques de la Société d’Écologie Humaine: Les transmissions entre generations. 24th – 25th September 2009. Montpellier, France.
- M. Leonardi, A. Conzato, P. Fabbri, F. Mallegni, D. Caramelli, G. Barbujani Preliminary analyses of five population samples across 5,000 years in Northwestern Tuscany (Italy) – 51st Symposium and Proffered Papers Meeting “Human dispersals”, Society for the Study of Human Biology, 18th – 20th June 2009, Rome, Italy.
- M. Leonardi, G. Barbujani, A. Manica. The impact of subsistence strategies on human genetic diversity Evolution 2018 II Joint Congress on Evolutionary Biology, 19th-22nd August 2018 Montpellier (France).
- M. Leonardi, G. Chaubey, M. G. Thomas, A. Migliano. Genetic adaptation to lifestyle in food producer versus hunter-gatherer populations from South-Eastern Asia. SIBE-IBES symposium, 15th – 16th December 2012 Ferrara, Italy
- M. Leonardi, C. Weber, N. Benecke, M.G. Thomas, J. Burger. Horse domestication: a computer simulation approach. Society for Molecular Biology and Evolution (SMBE) meeting, Dublin, 23rd – 26th June 2012
- M. Leonardi, C. Weber, N. Benecke, M.G. Thomas, J. Burger. Ancient DNA, computer simulations and horse domestication. Jacques Monod Conference on “Theoretical and Empirical Advances in Evolutionary Genomics”, Roscoff, France, 31st March – 4th April 2012
- M. Leonardi, C. Weber, N. Benecke, M.G. Thomas, J. Burger. Horse domestication inferred from ancient DNA data. XI ICAZ international conference (International council for Archaeozoology), 23rd – 28th August 2010, Paris, France
Commentaries and Media Coverage
Did going North give us migraine? An evolutionary approach on understanding latitudinal differences in migraine epidemiology
Headache Editorial: Ward, T.N. (2020) AHS Members’ Choice Award for the Best Article in Headache. Headache. 60(3):505.
Headache Guest Editorial: Cowan, R.P. (2019). Toward a Philosophy of Migraine. Headache, 59(4), pp.481-483.
The female ancestor’s tale: long-term matrilineal continuity in a non-isolated region of Tuscany
Nature research highlights: Tuscans’ roots in their corner of western Italy date back five millennia
Indo-European.eu: Long-term matrilineal continuity in a nonisolated region of Tuscany
Late quaternary horses in Eurasia in the face of climate and vegetation change.
Indo-European.eu: Origin of horse domestication likely on the North Caspian steppes
Popular science: Ancient climate change may have dragged the wild horses away
An earlier revolution: genetic and genomic analyses reveal pre-existing cultural differences leading to Neolithization
Barbujani G. Brunelli A. 2018 Il giro del mondo in sei milioni di anni. Il Mulino.
The evolution of lactase persistence in Europe. A synthesis of archaeological and genetic evidence
Le Scienze – Scienza in cucina: Darwin e l’innaturalità di bere latte, Dario Bressanini
Dario Bressanini on Youtube: Intolleranza al lattosio. Bere latte è naturale?
Nature News: Curry, A. (2013). The milk revolution. Nature, 500(7460), 20.